How to bring laughter into the lives of seniors
Laughter is often hailed as the best medicine, and for good reason. It has been shown to relieve stress, boost mood, and send feel-good vibes throughout the body. This is especially important for seniors, who may not have as many opportunities to laugh as they did when they were younger. To help bring a smile to their face, consider giving them access to the kind of comedy that they loved in their youth. Here are some tips for making this a successful and enjoyable experience.
What you'll need:
DVDs or access to digital comedy shows that you know someone will enjoy
- Spend time with your senior comedy fan in a quiet space where they can relax and focus on the show.
- Help them get comfortable and ease them into the experience by gently touching their arm, sitting at eye level, and talking to them about what they're going to watch.
- Check in with them and be attentive to nonverbal cues to ensure they are comfortable and enjoying themselves.
- Start the show, making sure the screen is visible and the volume is at an appropriate level.
- Watch the show together and offer commentary to keep them engaged and feeling cared for.
- If they enjoyed the show, consider putting on another one once the first is finished.
- Wrap up the session by talking about what's coming up next, such as coffee or lunchtime.
Watching TV alone can be isolating, so encourage family and friends to join in on the fun. This will increase engagement and make the experience twice as enjoyable!