Multilingualism: An Effective Tool in Dementia Risk Reduction – Pitoies
Skip to content

Patient Guide By Early Stage

Multilingualism: An Effective Tool in Dementia Risk Reduction

21 Jun 2023 0 Comments
Multilingualism: An Effective Tool in Dementia Risk Reduction

Understanding the intriguing relationship between multilingualism and dementia, recent studies suggest that people who speak multiple languages possess a lower risk of developing dementia. The underlying reason revolves around the cognitive challenges inherent in switching between languages, which require constant activation and suppression of different language systems.


This phenomenon is akin to a workout for the brain, contributing to what is called a 'cognitive reserve.' Analogous to a physically fit young man's disease resistance due to regular exercise, the brain strengthens itself through these cognitive challenges, leading to a thicker cerebral cortex - a sign of a healthy and robust brain.


Interestingly, postmortem studies have shown instances of high-achieving individuals who, despite having Alzheimer's-related changes in their brain, did not exhibit signs of dementia in their lifetime. This lends credibility to the theory that bilingual individuals often demonstrate superior attention control, working memory, and cognitive flexibility. Hence, they have a lower risk of dementia.


The benefits of multilingualism appear to be amplified for individuals who can speak three, four, or even five languages. However, it's essential to acknowledge some scholarly dissents, positing that bilingual individuals may have lower dementia risks due to superior socioeconomic conditions, which affords them better healthcare access.


Regardless of these debates, regular use of multiple languages can stimulate the brain positively. While approximately 60% of dementia risk is attributed to genetic factors, the remaining 40% is controlled by environmental factors. Among these, multilingual learning is a potent strategy worth promoting. Although not the only solution, it serves as a beneficial mental exercise that can be adopted, even by the elderly post-retirement.


Therefore, while promoting the learning of foreign languages to keep the brain active and agile, it's vital to remember that a comprehensive approach to reducing dementia risk must also include mental and physical exercise, dietary adjustments, and control of hypertension, diabetes, and high cholesterol levels.


In conclusion, embracing multilingualism can be a significant step towards dementia risk reduction, providing a stimulating mental workout for our brain. Encouraging the pursuit of new languages alongside other healthy habits can lead us towards a future with lower dementia rates.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

Someone recently bought a
[time] ago, from [location]

Thanks for subscribing!

This email has been registered!

Shop the look

Choose Options

Recently Viewed

Edit Option
Back In Stock Notification
Terms & Conditions
this is just a warning
Shopping Cart
0 items

Before you leave...

Take 20% off your first order

20% off

Enter the code below at checkout to get 20% off your first order


Continue Shopping